Tuesday 7 April 2015

Sisterhood of the traveling...

Yesterday, while my sweet baby boy napped, I was feeling tired so decided to put on a Netflix movie. 'Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.' It's one of my all time FAVOURITE movies. I read the books, (all 4), saw the movie with friends when it first came out, and I have also had numerous traveling (you name it) that I've exchanged with friends over the years. None of the particular traveling items got passed around for longer than three months, but the intention was there...to stay in contact and share our experiences with my friends no matter where we were on the planet.

I know there is a reason this particular movie is one of my favourites. It has to do with the sense of adventure and freedom these girls experience as they each travel different places. These experiences shape who they are, help them deal with difficult issues in their lives, and ultimately, bond them together as they discover who they are apart from one another.

When I was 19, I started to feel the travel itch. I had never been outside of North America and I knew that I needed to see more of the world. I was 2 1/2 years into my degree, but for some reason, I knew this was the next step I needed to take, before I could finish University.

My friend and I set out for Albania to do 3 months of bible school, and after that we traveled to Athens, Santorini, Paris, and various places in England, ending in London.

I have a (very) old Facebook photo album of my time in Santorini and this morning, I decided to look through it. It was exactly 7 years ago that I took this trip. I don't think I realized then how significant the time was, how much it was shaping me as a person, and the confidence it helped me discover. Traveling to all of these places gave me a sense of independence I had never experienced and was also a time that allowed me to work through my relationship with God in a whole new way.

As we grow into womanhood and all that comes with it, I think we sometimes forget the dreams God laid on our hearts when we were younger. There is something so magical about the years following high school (17-21ish). The WHOLE world is your oyster at this age. We know the dreams that we have in our hearts but they are usually yet to be realized. This time of life is for sifting through what those dreams are and allowing ourselves to take shape.

I'm being inspired to think about those dreams lately. I love that I've kept journals throughout my life because it can be SO interesting to look back on my thoughts at different times in my life; what I was struggling with or excited about.

Today I'm reflecting on those times, and what the dreams God had put on my heart then, mean for me now. Even though life circumstances change or we have more responsibility in life as we enter womanhood, I still believe God has unique adventures for us all throughout our life. Adventure, travel, dreams, discovery...these are never over! Sure, it may look different in the season of life you are in. But life in Christ and with Him is an amazing adventure if we will just look for it...



No comments:

Post a Comment