Thursday 22 March 2012

Satisfaction in Surrender

Surrender: "to relinquish possession or control of to another...to yield...to give oneself up/over...to give up completely..." 

When I come to a place of true surrender, this is when I feel the closest to God and the furthest from the things of this world that seek to destroy, distract, and distance me from Him.

I've heard it over and over again, that I am to surrender myself to Him daily. But surrender does not come naturally and sometimes it takes a while before I realize how long it's been since I've been on my knees...in totally, complete surrender to God and the plans He has for my life. 

We live in a culture that easily distracts us. I am pretty good at distracting myself. Eventually though, I realize how empty the distractions make me. Well....what now? What satisfies me? What I have learned to be absolutely true is that nothing on this earth can satisfy me.... not even the best things in life like fulfilling friendships and a loving family have this ability. They bring joy, comfort, and blessing, yes, but they do not have the ability to satisfy my soul. 

Only One does....and I've had to learn this truth over and over and over again in my life. Jesus alone satisfies. He ALONE gives "living water" to my thirsty soul. In the story where Jesus is speaking with the woman at the well, Jesus says to her: "Those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life." (John 4:14). This verse is SO comforting to me. To never be thirsty again? Jesus is telling her, all you need is me! I will quench your thirst, but not only will I quench it, you will actually NEVER be thirsty again. I will satisfy your soul in this moment and in the moment after, again and again. But, see the thing I continue to learn is that I must come to Him for this water. He gives it freely but I must accept it, must drink it up not only daily but moment by moment. It's easy to become weary in life. Anxiety and worry and ungratefulness become my default. But the thing is...when I'm allowing Jesus to fill me up, when I'm soaking in the Living Water He alone offers, anxiousness, selfishness, sin...it's all washed away. And I'm totally satisfied in His beautiful presence... ready to be His hands and feet in this world. 

"When you open your hand, you satisfy the hunger and thirst of every living thing." ~ Psalm 145:16

So my prayer today is this..."Satisfy us (me) each morning with your unfailing love, so we (I) may sing for joy to the end of our (my) life." ~Psalm 90:14

No comments:

Post a Comment